Resources for prospective students

Making the decision to study for a Masters’, whether full- or part-time and in Manchester or at a distance, is a big step. We have provided below some links to useful advice offered by the University regarding:

  • securing funding for your studies
  • advice for those students whose native language is not English
  • for non-EU residents, advice on immigration and visas
  • other miscellaneous sources of help.


Postgraduate funding

Funding is obviously important, particularly for those who wish to study full-time. The following links may prove helpful:

Back to the top

English language and other training

The language of the MA DTCE is English, although you may be interested to know that some course units allow you to create teaching materials in your own language (see samples of student work). Further advice can be found through the links below.

  • The University offers a range of courses to help students with their studies. To find out more , please visit: The University Language Centre.
  • The Language Center offers a variety of full time and part time English Language courses. For more information, please see English Language Centre
  • The Language Center also offers courses and information on the IELTS examinations, which some students may need to take to provide evidence of their knowledge of the English language. For more information, see About IELTS

Back to the top


If you are a resident of the UK, or any other country of the EU or EEA, you do not need any special clearance to study or live in Manchester.

If you are planning to study by distance learning, your immigration status is also not an issue, as (unless you specifically wish to) there will be no need for you to visit Manchester in the course of your studies.

However, non-EU students planning to study in Manchester may find the following to be helpful:

Back to the top

Other useful websites

  • School of Environment, Education and Development Student Intranet
    The main reference point for information about your programme, the discipline and the School is the School’s Student Intranet
  • My Manchester
    My Manchester is the single gateway for you to access key tools, services and information to
    support your studies. You will be able to access all the information and online services you are
    likely to need on a day-­‐to-­‐day basis here, e.g. email, Blackboard (the University’s virtual learning
    environment), your library account, your  student record and your assessment grades once these
    have been published.
  • The University Of Manchester Library
    The University of Manchester Library, one of the best-resourced academic libraries in the country, provides you with the resources and support you need throughout your programme. The Library houses all the essential text books, across various sites, and has an extensive online collection of e-books, e-journals and research databases.
  • For all information on applying to the course, please refer to How to apply section
  • The University offers a number of halls of residencies for student accommodation, some specifically housing postgraduates and families. For more information, please visit the Accommodation Office
  • If you are interested in leasing a house, please contact Manchester Student Homes
  • For all enquiries, please visit the Student Services Centre
  • Find out about happenings around Manchester and student support, from Student life
  • For more advice on the handling of fees, please refer to the Tuition Fees
  • The Student Union organises many different student activities.

Back to the top

Leave a comment

  • Archives

  • Twitter @MADTCE