Your UK student visa

Remember that if you are not a citizen of the European Union (or European Economic Area, which includes Iceland, Norway and Switzerland), you will require a UK student visa to come and study on the MA: DTCE at Manchester. For students intending to start their study this September, this process should begin now (late June).

Please note we no longer issue ‘visa letters’ but applicants will receive a CAS number, via email, which will be required when you make your Tier 4 immigration application.

The CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) is a unique reference number which confirms to the UK Border Agency that you have firmly accepted an unconditional offer of a place on a course of study with us.

So that we can go ahead and apply to the UK Border Agency for your CAS number, you will need to email the Postgraduate Office a scanned copy of your current passport, showing your passport number, full name, date of birth, nationality and country of birth. Note that some older passports do not show country of birth.  If this is the case, please include this information in your email. You should send this information to

Please do this as soon as you can. This can be a time-consuming process and we do not want you to miss the start of your course – or not be able to come at all – simply because of visa problems.

Please note that your CAS will relate to the MA: DTCE specifically, so if you hold more than one unconditional offer from The University of Manchester, you need to decide which course you wish to join, before we apply for your CAS.

For further information on the visa application process please visit:

Leave a comment

  • Archives

  • Twitter @MADTCE